25 April 2003

Continuing the animal rights discussion...
I found this article most infuriating. (Thank you Neal for pointing me in that direction of the National Review Online.) Basically, I am being told by the animal rights people that we can't experiment on the monkeys so that we can better understand the virus that is currently killing hundreds, but we should "use humans diagnosed with permanent unconsciousness." This goes way beyond the rights of animals. I love animals. I think that they DO have a certain level of rights, especially to avoid extinction and to preserve ecologies that are necessary for a proper Earth environment. BUT, to experiment on people????, not a common animal species of which has no danger of extinction????

Does anybody notice that we experiment on animal species that are very productive, and that we breed species to specifically experiment in order to save lives? But now, we "should" experiment on comatosis or vegatable-state humans to save other humans? Where is the respect or logic? Animals do not have souls; they breed and die. Simple as that. But we'll advocate (not me though) to experiment on another soul?

Please explain.