25 June 2012

Moving Perspectives

Moving should be a big deal, right? Our first move was a huge deal. Denver! 17 hours by road, it was destined for complete life change. Next was Scottsdale from Denver, only a quick 14 hour trip, but through the Rockies, so with a sudden need to drop into New Mexico through the desert, we battled our way westward once again.

While we hardly needed everything in Denver given that our condo in Indianapolis was a great time capsule for the moment, I didn't understand that. I took quite a lot, and my stubbornness to take the absurdly heavy leather furniture through the West will hardly be forgotten. I discovered the need to absolutely empty a place (moving from Denver to Scottsdale) was very stressful, only to be repeated when we left Scottsdale and came back to Indianapolis for a year.

Round two of living around the USA journey - only this time going south and eastward. Asheville, North Carolina, with a few lessons under our belts. The very large truck shrunk to a "do we need a uHaul or will a pick-up do?" With Indianapolis still quite in-tact as a liveable home, only my very precious possessions (except my baby grand) made the move cut, with IKEA serving as the temporary furniture provider with final demise being the rubbish after the year of rental there.

Early reflection: I am loving the mindset shift. I don't feel the pressure of "all that stuff" and since I'm only taking my favourite things that fit the style of the house we rented, I'm actually quite excited about the move! With my parent's help and the assistance of a wall sized kanban board in the new living room (more on this in future post), I'm looking forward to taking the rest of the week off and relaxing much more than planned....