16 October 2014

No Research!


When you are a doctoral student, "fun" reading is a journal related to your field that isn't a study article. Or perhaps a lighter book that talks about concepts, but doesn't get into the weeds. This is as light as we usually get. However, with this being my quarter of collecting data and my last residency complete, I'm starting to smell freedom in my literary choices. Granted, I still manage to sneak in the occasional historical novel or something relevant to what I'm doing at the time, but frankly, my non-research reading is far too frequent for my typical reading preferences.

Thus, it only seems appropriate to go hide at an all-inclusive resort in the islands ... complete with a stack of wonderfully irrelevant books :) It's possible that I couldn't help myself in taking somewhat relevant books (the last three), but the rest are all deliciously useless. Fantasy, supernatural, and steampunk reading will entertain me for a week, and if I get to it, I may even get to the natural history, religion, and health. Those, however, are not the priority.

Sleeping will be a focus too. Lots of sleeping.

Perhaps beach walking too. I heard that when you're on an island, there's lots of ocean around you, so I may investigate for at least a walk a day :P