21 July 2008

Life Management
Referring to the blog post yesterday in Obligations, I am happy to report that I acted on my acknowledgement.

I dropped a somewhat large hobby that had ballooned into an obligation.

I feel guilty and like I let people down, but I'm also wondering if that isn't just extreme arrogance on my part that I could possibly have that much effect on people. Regardless, I will suffer some depression this week for cutting that aspect out of my life, yet I feel a wave of absolute relief: one less thing to think about.

That just leaves me with
  • raising a toddler
  • running an university's online program
  • running a non-profit inner-city martial arts school
  • maintaining a social life
  • prepping and starting a doctoral program

Considering that list was much longer just six months ago, I'm extremely proud of myself for finding out what keeps me going and what keeps me happy. I always felt like I was being selfish if I just dropped aspects of my life, but I'm learning that being unhappy makes me irritable and unproductive overall, where I'm getting to the point that being happy makes me far more easy going and productive with fewer things.