19 March 2012

Sippy Cups at Clowes Hall


Intermission at the opera or symphony means either a Kir Royale, G&T or rum and coke. Opting for the rum and coke, I let my eyes wander about, only to have them return to this...the sippy cup. Frankly, I've always been grumpy with the crappy plastic cups, but recognise that it's a lot of effort and logistics to get the stemware or at least glassware. BUT THIS? Not only do they completely insult my ability to drink a refreshment between operatic scenes, but they are trying to protect one of the ugliest venues I've experienced. If I'm attending an opera, the experience is more than just the performance, and shockingly, receiving a sippy cup does not improve my sense of culture and enjoyment. A very big misjudgment on Clowes Hall's part, as I will certainly not be attending their functions in the future.