16 February 2014

The Carolina Apocalypse


It looks like a late Fall Michigan frost, doesn't it? Perhaps a Denver wake-up call that winter is indeed coming. It's all about perspective because this is officially dubbed the Carolina Apocalypse. Granted, not quite a foot and zero ice really isn't The Day After Tomorrow, but don't bother trying to explain that to the natives. Sometimes I worry about Elle turning into a southerner, so I was quite pleased that she embraced this whole-heartedly (although I suspect being out of school for a week was the relevant bit here). It was absolutely perfect weather with a solid 28F degrees and a nearly a foot of snow - the snowmen were just waiting to happy with that wetter heavier bottom and fluffy overlap.

(There was one person in the house that was less excited about the snow, possibly due to being the official shovel-er .... however, Elle and I sung him the Grinch song several times to make him feel better.)


I was quite proud of our final product (above) until of course the neighbors waited until the snow got heavier and simply plopped it together. Please note that I slaved over mine properly by starting with a snowball and rolling it around, carefully patting in new snow for new layers. Their six foot snowman irritated me in general, but Elle suggested that I let go. Meanwhile, I must admire her managerial skills that are growing by leaps and bounds. As you can see, she is not particularly helpful except to say 

"Good job mommy!"
"I'm going to pop indoors now, I'll check on you soon."
"Mommy, you're not getting this done very fast.....I'll come back out when you're closer."
"Oh good job Mommy, you finally finished."
"We need a picture of the snowman we made!"

We made?

I sense that I was used.


Wonderfully to me and horrifically to the majority of Asheville, the snow did not simply disappear, and when it started to, the snow came back. I could only smile to experience at least a quick second in time of a normal winter. This led to many hours lounging in my library regardless of reading casually or working heard. I wasn't very motivated to go in other places in the house with a Winter Wonderland in my view and a crackling fireplace next to me!