04 December 2007

Humbug
Grisham's Skipping Christmas had a cool idea. If I remember correctly, they decided to switch out Christmas for an awesome cruise because they felt that everything had become a duty...everybody examined the cards in detail, gifts were chosen largely to compare (not please), even down to all the neighbors being pressured in having the same stupid ass Christmas decor on the roof. I'd skip Christmas too! They threw everything back together again at the last second when their college aged daughter phoned that she was returning in a couple days, but I didn't think that sufficed for a reason to go through that mayhem at the last minute.

I promised myself that I would only do Christmas cards if I enjoyed the process...buy gifts that I really thought fit the person (this required thinking months in advance)...and not pressure myself into going to something if I didn't want or just needed a quiet evening. The huge and gigantic problem is that the more real I make Christmas a truly enjoyable season with the fun traditions of getting the tree, sending the cards, wrapping the gifts, and enjoying festivities with friends, the more I feel alone. Why is Christmas a duty or responsibility to so many people? Why is any holiday a responsibility to anyone? (Feeling frustration from people that seem to think that it's just a task.)

I'm starting to wonder if just running off to another part of the world or country isn't a better idea. Cape Cod was glorious last year. Real fireplace, small tree, presents, hot cocoa and soup. This is what people should focus on....not running around ticking off a list of responsibilities.