16 May 2009

Der Ring des Nibelungen and The Lord of the Rings

I know Tolkien denies inspiration from Der Ring des Nibelungen, but I disagree with the premise that the only connection is that a ring of ultimate power was found. In Das Rheingold alone there are several correlating features to The Lord of the Rings. Wagner's four operas representing the ring is one of my favourite series, and I finally got the opportunity to see the first one live last night (Das Rheingold). There were some issues with the performance, such as the supporting computer graphics screwing up in the very beginning, and a trumpet player from the ISO completely destroying a crucial note. Granted, the music is really intense and we were nearing the end of the three hour saga that highlights trumpets, so I can see why the lips may give way, but still...they are professionals and I was disappointed to hear it. The initial computer graphic issues were unforgiveable though.

I digress. I really enjoyed the production, but the whole time I couldn't help but think that even if Tolkien wasn't inspired by Wagner's works, then they are both indebted to the Norse epic poems. After all, there is nothing new under the sun. All I have to say is thank you to story weavers of centuries gone by who planted the seeds for development into the eventual Der Ring des Nibelungen and The Lord of the Rings, both of which is obviously seeded from these ancient sagas.