25 January 2010

Lived another day...

...thanks to my very strong and overworked guardian angel. Today apparantly involved some overtime. While I tend to live an overall careless life, I was even shaken and very happy to hold still. My angel is happy for the break now that I'm safely parked in Starbucks trying to regain composure from the day.

Getting pulled over for speeding 18 over the speed limit in Ohio (by a State cop no less) wasn't the most fantastic start of the day, until of course I got to infuriate Eric with getting away with it. Then I felt quite smug (although I admit slowing down in general since I'm happy to finally have a clean licence!).

However, the pothole incident left me a bit rattled, and Habanero (my car)a bit banged up. Actually we're both a bit banged up, but when you consider the end result that we're both safe after running into the concrete barrier at 80 mph, I feel very protected by Somebody. I swear, the barrier simply leaped up and attacked us. It was very violent, and fortunately was able to limp into Philadelphia where Habanero is getting special attention at the MiniCooper dealership (replacing both front tires and rims).

In all seriousness, I suggest to the turnpike idiots of Pennsylvania that if they are going to have the gall to charge me $20 to cross their stupid state, they could at least attempt to make the road passable. A disaster pothole shot my poor car straight into the middle median (concrete barriers). I saw it coming and managed to sideswipe it, giving all the impact to the poor tire. Several spins and a ditch later, I am in complete shock that there is absolutely no body damage. Booyah to Mini! However, let's just say the ride into Philly (this happened 114 miles west of town) was really really rough.

Tomorrow everything should be back to normal, but I have to admit, I'm happy to take the train anyway right now ;)