09 March 2010

A roaring fire, driving on the beach, and tea

What's all that make? A great birthday of course!

Besides my awesome loot, I mean, extremely thoughtful gifts from wonderful people, I was lucky enough to discover that the north end beach of the Outer Banks islands is drivable. Yes, that means you can take your car on the beach.



Of course, the common sense of driving a MiniCooper on sand may provide doubt, but it has been known while I recognise what probably isn't a great idea, that has nothing to do with the result. Besides, there was enough traffic on the beach to help when I inevitably misjudged a soft section as you can see below.



However, I now understand the nuances of the beach driving experience (better, at least...after a couple failed experiments), and had a fabulous drive. Elle glared at me many times. Hopefully I can kick that common sense out of her soon.



I loved how there was all the stumps, shells, and oh yeah, on-coming traffic with NO LINES. It was magical ... no rules (except you were discouraged to hit other people and to not speed). It was a very cool experience!



Moving on from the beach excitement (well, not really, I'll be returning tomorrow. And the next day.), it's cool enough out to enjoy a lovely fire (real one) in the fireplace while leaving the door wide open for the air to flow in off the water. I'm not paying the heating bill after all :) It's been a most excellent day complete with bacon, wine and tea, so welcome, 32nd year of my life!