18 October 2011

...in neutral...

Being in neutral in very difficult for highly goal oriented individuals. Eric and I are experiencing wonderful progress with our long term goals and sitting in neutral for our short term goals. What's next? We know of two very clear options in front of us, and one option is not moving in any direction for us to know if we are going with the second option. Given that both futures involve logistical effort, we are trying to ignore the future and enjoy the present. Indianapolis is not exactly a favourite location, but it is a convenient lily pad until future notice. Meanwhile, attention to the small things has been a requirement to not go mad with desire to know what, or I should say, where is in front of us!

Frankly, my very wise friend said that I should take this 'down time' as an opportunity to focus on my PhD and Elle, which is absolutely correct. Elle's growth has been astounding, both physically and mentally as she is now reading and writing, and although I am very glad she has moved on from her one-eyed comic head drawing series to two-eyed comic head series to snails to the current passion of kites. I have no pictures taken of this particular fad yet, but I find the kites far less unsettling than gigantic eyes staring at me.

So what am I doing these days? Writing. Drinking excellent wine. Writing. Trying to learn meditation (another post entirely). Writing. Teaching Elle. Writing. Wishing I knew what the next port of call was. Writing. Taking quick trips out of state to pretty places. Writing. Trying new gins. Writing. Investigating new excellent cuisine in Indianapolis. Writing.

Less writing: T-1 year. Fine. Maybe 18 months, but I'm really hoping not.