10 May 2012

Money Buys Service....



You can imagine my surprise upon my return from Ireland to find this note in the post. Quite heavy card, Burberry does not slack in the stationery selection, but then if sales associates are going to be writing personal notes to their customers, one might as well invest in the paper quality too.


Getting notes from stores is not uncommon, especially as the purchase price rises, but the personalisation of this card was surprising given that it was three weeks ago. Just before I left on the trip, I walked into Burberry in a mild panic, realising how much it would rain in Ireland while I was there. Unsure of what store would carry raincoats and wellies, I assumed that a store originating from the rainiest island ever would surely carry such important clothing.


Granted, the statement of "I need a raincoat and wellies because I'm going to rainy Ireland tomorrow" to the sales associate accompanied with dropping a grand on a lovely rain gear set probably made her day commission-wise, but I must say that this level of detail in the note is impressive to me. Was she taking notes in our conversation? I didn't see any. 


What annoys me to no end is that I know it's just an intentional strategy to make me feel special and want to return for more special treatment and spend more money at their store. My cynicism and business degree tells me that it has nothing to do with me personally, so why in the world do I have this emotional desire to reward them for caring by going back for me?????


I think that marketing degrees might as well be a double major with psychology.