26 September 2012

Hiking


Hiking and I aren't really compatible, at least in my mind. I lived a year in Denver and hiked only under pressurized circumstances, and that was a hiker's dream, especially with me being four miles from Red Rocks. However, in an effort to be back in shape while being unable to sustain martial art lessons, yoga training, or gym attendance with the travel lifestyle I now maintain, alternatives were on the table. When a colleague tweeted for asynchronous 'friendly competition' for hiking with the Map My Hike site, I jumped for it. There was a lot additional benefit that I could start this new endeavour while in Boulder and I now lived (for the most part) in Asheville, another beautiful hiking district of the country.


So far I have 11 miles under my feet for the week, which is an exciting start. The other hiking trail I did with Eric, Elle, and some of his colleagues was today "above" Nederland, which was a beautiful trail at about 9,000 feet called the Hessie Trail.

I'm excited to see if this new focus is sustainable, but for all my efforts, this one has the most hope given my new found enjoyment of discovering beauty around me.