13 September 2012

Westward Journey ... Commenced!

My three week tour of the west started this week, and I am quite excited! While travelling is always positive for me, this is extra awesome in the sense that nearly every place I am going is new to me. My original intention to scour the West when we lived in Colorado and Arizona across two years fell drastically short despite huge effort to still see it all as we visited Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, and Utah, not to mention a lot of focused time within both Colorado and Arizona. As it turns out, the West is actually really freaking big.

So, first state on this journey....Wisconsin (because you have to drive through it anyway). Having never been to Wisconsin except to barely pop over the border for Six Flags as kid, I had grand visions of a state that looked like a cross between Ireland and Mission Peninsula just north of Traverse City, with a Wisconsin influence. As this description is probably boggling your mind, another explanation is my imagined scene of Jersey cows dotting the landscape on very old farms with cheese curd stands every where.
  • There were no cows, let alone Jersey cows.
  • I saw one complete farm that looked so weathered that it made me feel a bit depressed.
  • The cheese curds were there! But only in the petrol stations...trust me, not the ambiance originally conceived.
So....Wisconsin not only did not meet my unrealistic expectations, it has earned it's place on my list of states that can disappear. However, this is just one small leg of the journey, and thankfully my return trip is not the same route.

Let's quickly move forward to Minnesota. Honestly, I can't say much about this state yet because I arrived at night and am now settling in Minneapolis. It promises to be a lovely long weekend being "stuck" in the two story penthouse suite downtown, thanks to my conference's use of a convention hotel where Eric has automatic upgrades :) I do miss Eric as he travels for work, but there is something to be said about really nice rooms as well as getting the cheat lines and flight upgrades at the airport. 

More updates soon as the Black Hills are discovered next week!

View into the downtown baseball stadium.