19 December 2012

Gozo



Given my squeamish sea crossing capability (or the lack thereof), I was thrilled to be on a decent size ferry (the only method of transportation for lorries, cement trucks, and regular commuters). No part of the Mediterranean can be considered friendly seas in December, and this day was no less that case. After the passenger only ferry experience to the Aran Islands in Ireland this past April, I was not ready to leap excitedly into this excursion. It was incredibly rocky, much worse than Ireland, but I revived much more rapidly this time around :)



Gozo was indeed stunningly beautiful with the quiet (and tiny) cliffside roads to just look out and dream (carefully)! I was literally overwhelmed with the power of the sea; on the ferry as well as hiking, sitting, and dreaming on the cliff-tops.



The lace did not disappoint either. I have always loved the Maltese lace, but the Gozo lace gets extra props for the hand bobbin work. We found a quiet lace shoppe with a lady working on her lace, thereby learning quite a bit about the process with increasing respect. She could name the maker by the type and width of the petal weave, which was fascinating to me.




Back to the ... bigger island ... for some rest and Hobbit movie planning :)