22 February 2013

Valuable Neighbors

It is difficult to imagine what could top having a wine shoppe as a neighbor...literally immediately next door. A good one especially! While it is in transition between owners, I am currently in denial that one will leave eventually (moving out of state) because both the previous owner and new owner are simply fantastic. Converting our coal cellar into a wine cellar was a top priority until we realised that we not only had a wine cellar next door, but we also had great advice on pairing for that evening's meal on a daily basis. Approximately 6p most nights involves a saunter over with a description of dinner.

Somebody pinch me. I'm dreaming. No, it's real!

Thursday evening was a wine tasting for nine Italian reds. I thought my visits to Italy may shed light on the complexity of the absurd number of varietals, but in reality, I was simply more confused. The tasting was semi-blind with a prize for the most matched. My competitive nature soared, and when only one other individual besides me got all three of the first flight matched correctly, I started plotting ways to divert his focus. However, in the end, I crushed the competition. (This can be translated as that I only identified five out of nine correctly, and two others tied with me...however, cool prizes were still achieved!)

Important tips learned....there are four levels of wine expectations in Italy, with table wine being the dregs level. I found this completely thrilling as I'm perfectly happy with apparently what is defined as dregs. This can only be positive as I explore the next three levels.

Another important tip...there are only 350 varietals registered, with a mere 500 more unregistered but documented varietals going back to the Etruscan. This enlightenment helps place in perspective the lack of value in trying to learn all of them. Just learn the four levels and enjoy.

I walked in with intentions of buying a couple bottles.

We returned with a case.

....and so the relationship with our very valuable neighbor continues in love and harmony!