06 July 2013

Uselessness

There is possibly nothing more useless than the Sphero toy. A round plastic ball that lights up and is controlled by your smart phone will never justify $129. Ever. (Granted, I waited until it hit an Amazon deal and got it for $85.)

"What does it do Honey?"

"It rolls around!"

It does indeed. I'm just sorrowful that we don't have a cat.

Seriously, it is sad. My very intelligent, 35 year old, successful, niche market consultant husband is completely enamored with the plastic remote controlled ball. He explained in great detail how he can create mazes for what I have dubbed Elmer, and "if I get TWO, they can joust!"

Like I'm going to spend another $129 on a second waste of plastic. Or $119. Or $85.

Another note, this seems to have a strong male attraction. The only use that fellow females have found it useful for is a babysitter for their husbands. I just can't complain too much because that scent he bought me was $96. Technically that is not the most useful purchase on the planet either.

The truly sad part here is that when I suggested he take it down to the living room floor where there's a lot of space and he can build his mazes, he expressed concern of making our 6-year old daughter aware of it.

Apparently the toy is to remain only his. I'll remember this when he takes over her Lego sets.