05 September 2013

Music - The Soul of New Orleans

I cannot experience enough music. While a complete food addict and lover of history, it would not be a complete journey here in the Big Easy without the music. Thus, this post exists to convince you that it's worth your time and effort to come down for music, if nothing else. Firstly, be aware that music is everywhere and if you're on Frenchman Street, constant. Before I torture you with the pleasures of Frenchman Street though, take a listen to a night at Tipatino's Music Club. Funnily enough, I went to hear the brass band; however, the steel band blew me away. They could have played all night and I'd have been just fine.

Note for watching clips - let it buffer first!





Meanwhile, the street music is no joke. Brass band after brass band litters the French Quarter in the nicest possible way. In fact, I don't think I've seen more sousaphones in my entire life as much as I have just in the past days! Even the bars along Bourbon Street have live music pounding out regularly, allowing yourself to wander the bands much like exhibits at a museum. This example isn't the finest playing I saw, but they certainly were having fun, and it's a good view into street life here.


Now, onward to Frenchman Street, easily the best street in New Orleans, although the dreamy shoppes and boutiques on Royal Street are really close. I have posted the video clips in order of the night. I believe the quality of the music goes up in such order as well, although I have no complaints with any of them. Let's start with the honky tonk yet loveable band with a washboard at 8p. 



Here you'll find yourself watching a fantastic swing band that apparently had been playing since 6p, but ended at 10p, so I only got an hour in of the awesome music and dancing starting at 9p. I thought it was incredibly cool that the piano player was puffing on a stogie the entire time. Personally, my motivation for picking back up the dancing with Eric has skyrocketed. It wasn't too hard to imagine what 1920's New Orleans may have been like. The hour flew by with the combination of the music and the excellent dancing that was there.




Finally, I'll close with a couple of my favourites from the Uptown Jazz Orchestra; a slightly more pricey affair at $25, especially compared to the $5 or just the house rule of "1 drink per set"; however, incredibly and totally well worth it. I even got to dance with the old guy in the last video, who liked to demonstrate "aging" ... until he starts dancing. Wow. Apparently it is I who is old.