26 December 2013

A Piece of History

History has always been a fascination to me with it's grief, lessons, and inspiration. The acts of those who lived before us shaped who we are, and I think having Futuristic as my #1 Strength is strongly related to my value and respect of our past. Every time I read a piece of our history, I grimace at how we repeat failure and smile at how we build on success for more innovation.

Lecture over.

I got the coolest EVER Christmas gift ... a medieval (circa 1100s) 'polychrome bird' Limoges mount that would have decorated a cup. As we already know, Limoges is famous for it's enamels, and by the early 1100s, goldsmiths at Conques' Benedictine abbey were able to produce these enameled panels with extra vivid colours for that time period.


This panel came to me at a specifically interesting moment as I have been reading She Wolves: The Women who Ruled before Elizabeth by Helen Castor. As is typical with how my brain works, the puzzle pieces have been coming together for our early first millennium period in the West as all the Cadfael shows that I've watched many times suddenly gained context with this book. The civil war between Matilda and Stephen was the backdrop of Cadfael, but knowing little about the war itself, the book enlightened me on how politically brilliant Matilda, not to mention a lion of a woman, and how she maneuvered Stephen into a position where he would step down in lieu of her own son, Henry II. Granted, she was the rightful heir, but her focus was the dynastic reign, and she won in the long run for that goal. 

During this time, this panel was being made for an English cup, and for whom? Of course we cannot know, but on my mantle is a physical reminder of how England was shaped. 

Just for a final piece of ironic knowledge, Henry II married Eleanor of Aquitaine before he became Henry II, but had inherited the Duke of Normandy title. Her lands met at the borders of his (Normandy, Brittany, Anjou) and took them on down to the Pyrenees, which included Bordeaux (very special point of wine interest) and, of course, Limoges. So I can't help but smile that this was made in Eleanor's land, who would become a powerful woman in her own right, for a nobleman in Matilda's rightful land, who ceded her right to avoid further war and to continue the dynasty.

Right. I promised that the lecture was over. But it's SO cool! ...and it appeals to my female nature.

Anyway, this new acquisition resulted in a massive re-organisation of my library. Books were re-classified. Some books were cut. My literature section is finally approachable, with each shelf representing a different type of literature [Pic 1]. All books are in chronological order for my world history with my nice sets beside it [Pic 2], and I am happily able to have an entire natural history section [Pic 3 bottom]. My US History section is a little woeful, but I'll work on it [Pic 3 top]. Finally, my old books (starting in 1724), thanks to my mother's wonderful generosity, are proudly displayed on the mantle [Pic 4].






All of this from a square inch piece of history :) God only know what will happen when I get my 1650 pen and ink back from the framers on January 9!