31 January 2014

Uh oh. Technology and Children.

This reality hit very hard when I was asked to fix the sound on her computer. I figured it was just Reading Egg games, which is a reading programme she's be using for a couple years. Not paying attention and definitely not figuring it out, I called for Eric to "fix Ellie's sound in Reading Eggs"......

Indignant and Insulted Six Year Old
"Mom!!! This is NOT Reading Eggs! This is Starfall!"

Tired Mum with Pulled Muscle Wallowing in Self Pity
"Umm, OK, whatever."

Slightly More Attentive Dad
"What is Starfall? And where did you get it?"

Ever so Proud Six Year Old
"I searched on Google and downloaded it! Here, let me show you how."

*proceeds to give a step by step tutorial*

Parents Entering Massive State of Panick
"Sweetie, how did you hear of it? When did you learn to do that? What other things have you downloaded? Can I see your computer a second? Just a quick second...."

*strained voice and search for how to install NetNanny takes place in background as well as a look at the programs list*

Puffed Chest Six Year Old
"I learned about this game at school!"

Sagging with Relief Parents
"Oh, that's really cool."

*exchange looks of "crap, that was early, now what" between parents*

Frankly, NetNanny didn't seem that useful and since she's gotten around all child proof things up to this date, including technology, I don't have a lot of hopes. Our goal is to simply educate her on what's right and what's wrong as she's at the age of wanting to do things right.

Teen years though....well, that's a long way away.

Right?

*cry*