15 April 2014

Chasing Waterfalls

If you talk to anybody except my daughter, who will inform you that the Asheville waterfalls are much more impressive, Niagara Falls is a pretty stunning piece of nature. Don't get me wrong, Asheville is the centerpiece for 301 official waterfalls, and only a zillion more small cascades that make you want to stop the car a lot. However, standing next to something as grandeous and powerful as  Niagara Falls leaves me with a longer moment in time; lost in the fog with a glimpse of the water and feeling the crash underneath me.

After a wonderful trip to Iceland and visiting Gulfoss Falls in 2011, which were incredible for me, I realised just how much I had accidentally taken Niagara Falls for granted. While I still have every intention and hunting down every single and assumedly gorgeous Icelandic waterfalls, I also returned to Niagara Falls with a renewed focus to enjoy it's beauty. While this may appear to be just a waterfall fettish, really it's just a dawning on my fast-paced brain that these lovely scenes that have outlived the ages deserve more respect than the obligatory photo posted on [insert preferred social media here].


Visiting Niagara Falls now, I am looking out my hotel window at the scene above, and grateful, which is too rare of an emotion for me to feel.

Meanwhile, this recent new self-awareness that I've been experiencing recently has been in direct conflict with my 7 year old daughter's digital saturation, who had questions before she felt it would be worth her valuable time to go with us.....
  1. Will there be wireless there?
  2. The wireless will work, right?
  3. There won't be any problems with the wireless?
My explanations of the amazing waterfall, gorgeous aviary, and relaxing butterfly conservatory was greeted with an anxious....
  1. ...and there's a pool at the hotel, right?
Lovely.