15 December 2016

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (book review)

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1)Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Vintage photography. Dimensional time travel. Hints of horror with strong fantasy themes.

Yes, I love all of these things and that is what drew me so much to this book. It was a great time carefully studying the old photos and I was thrilled to see that they were authentically gathered versus a studio mock-up.

The key theme is the classic X-Men situation where some among us have supernatural (peculiar) skills, which becomes a challenge for those who have them with their own set of monsters and problems. If you want to be teased on how real or not real the Grandfather's stories are, I encourage you to watch Big Fish first, and then watch you argue with yourself throughout the early part of the book :)

I was drawn to this book as a recommendation after reading "Coraline" by Neil Gaiman. I much preferred Gaiman's "Grimms" approach, but seriously, Gaiman is like a god of writing; it's almost unfair to compare. His "young adult" can keep the attention of any age, where this book is truly more honed in for the young adult. Still, it doesn't keep me from buying the next book as it is an enjoyable read ... and I want more vintage photos with stories added!


View all my reviews