07 November 2007

Maltese Living
The lovely aspect of travelling is to immerse yourself into whatever culture you're entering. The Maltese culture is no exception. Once I got back my clutch timing, and left-side senses, and "I know we're on a road 10ft wide, but there's no reason to slow down" mode, I could enjoy the flavour of such insane driving. People at home think I'm a bad driver. Ha! I would suggest driving under Rome, London, or Maltese conditions (although Boston and DC is about the same too). I've never driven in Mexico, but the taxi cab trip there made me realise not to bother trying. The food here is glorious as well. I've long learned the valued tip to eat what the natives eat. If they are avoiding a type of food, there is a very good reason for it. The problem is that I fall in love with cultural food in whatever land I'm in, and then go home and expect a restaurant named something ridiculous like "The Parthenon" to be even close, let alone perhaps the same :) This just means to savour every little bite you eat and stick to indigenous food.

Wine! Ah, wonderful wine. The sole glory of Europe has to be their appropriate focus on wine. Water? Yes, that will be $5. Wine? Oh, that's free with the meal. I am probably totally dehydrated, but feel really good. There was a focused search on the Internet to determine just how much locally made wine I could lug back. I can't even begin to explain the value of having parents alone that are tea-totallers. You get their alcoholic welcome vouchers and their alcoholic travel allowance. There was some trauma involved with my father's recent interest in fine whiskey's, thus a minor reduction to my selfish wine space.