14 February 2008

Dick's Sporting Goods are full of dicks
I like to think I'm reasonable with my expectations as a consumer, but the lack of customer service, or even customer caring has pushed me to vow never to return to Dick's Sporting Goods. I was always frustrated that every visit there left me wanting...always missing the size I needed, or the ball brand I wanted. Therefore, I decided to use their web service to buy 17 mouthguards for my martial art students. Big mistake! I chose shipping that said 3-5 business days. Like a fool, I thought they meant that, so I choose it. My confirmation email said to expect it between 4-8 business days...2 business days too late for the tournament. I spend wasted time looking for any sign to contact these people since they provide no customer service number, weblink, or email in their confirmation email or their website account summary. I finally find a phone number where I was told that I would have to cancel and start over.

me: "First, let's focus on the fact that you say 3-5 business days on the shipping choice, and you provide 4-8 business days for the confirmation."

dick: "oh, it says very clearly that it takes 1-2 business days to get to our warehouse."

me: "WHERE?"

dick: "that information is provided with the product information."

me: "that is a very unhelpful place to put it. i very much need it by the 23rd, so please upgrade my shipping option."

dick: "we can't do that, i'll cancel your order and you can start over."

me: "i'll never be using your service again if this is how unflexible the company is!"

dick: "have a pleasant day."

Fine. Whatever. I'm told that I must move on to keep my blood pressure down. So I do it all over again. Please note that they were magically out of the colours I wanted because they had not returned the inventory from my cancellation, so I had to be satisfied with colours I didn't want. Then I discovered that in order to get the order within 4 business days, I have to freaking overnight it because they take 1-2 business days to send the order to the warehouse!!! I'm guessing at this point that they do not email the order, rather bike it across town by courier.

I post this in hopes that anybody that wants to Google Dick's Sporting Goods for feedback, that they'll read this and realise that it's another big business gone bad.