31 July 2009

Bringing Meaning to Objects

America suffers from what I feel is a compulsive behaviour to own STUFF. I've discussed this at length in previous blog posts, and have taken measures every year to 'purge' my home of items not loved or used enough to value keeping. This thinking was revived for me as I am reading A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink on loan from a friend. He has some fabulous points to ensure that our material wealth, whether much or little, is appreciated and enjoyed for maximum potential.
  1. Put object on the table and examine it. What memories does it provide? What is it's history?
  2. Now that the object is solidly in your mind and you've connected to it, how does it affect each of your senses? Pink is discussing the value of design and ways to improve our right side of the brain. As you study the object, the design of the object "will trigger your senses".
  3. Consider how you connected the clues and how you feel. What are the connections?

Doing this was a fascinating revelation on how I connect with what we own. I was happy to see that most of we have (at least brought with us to Denver) are special indeed. It makes me happy to at least have items that will endure emotionally and reminds me to not buy something because it's 'cute'. Classic -not cute- unless specifically purchased for something short term and keeping to the plans on getting rid of it when done.

Karim Rashid made an awesome point:

Experience is the most important part of living, and the exchange of ideas and human contact is all life really is. Space and objects can encourage increased experiences or distract from our experiences.