30 December 2011

Seaside Christmas


After three different ecological experiences for Christmas in a row (2009 in the mountains, 2010 in the desert, and now 2011 on the seaside), I have to throw my vote for the seaside. We've stayed in Cape Cod for a couple Christmas' and it was wonderful, but my absolute favourite environment thus far for Christmas is a warm seaside! Next year will be a wonderful reproduction our our honeymoon Christmas in Rome and Malta ten years ago, but that's just an every-five-year special deal. I think my general leaning each year will be to find a warm, sunny spot with soft salty air. I don't even require terribly warm...but just warm enough that massive bundling is not required.

The best gift I could have this week was going to bed and waking up to the water crashing on the shore. Although Hilton Head's ocean isn't exactly the crashing type (very mellow), I still could hear it as all stress melted into the air. One of my favourite moments was watching Eric and Elle fly their kites that I acquired in Boulder's most interesting kite shoppe. The winds were absolutely perfect.

Overall, it was a fantastic Christmas season for me! I received very thoughtful gifts, and despite my presence in Indianapolis for only a few days in December, I managed to spend quality time with some friends. I made a major dent in my doctoral writing that was enjoyable rather than pressured, and I had the fun of finding the perfect box for gifts. I am one of those pathetic types that finds a 'perfect box' and then looks for a gift to fit it. Rested, somewhat healed from my medical drama, and caught up on the 'little' things that drive me nuts during busy times, I am feeling very ready to hit the New Year parties in Asheville on Saturday! I'll start thinking about 2012 half-way through January....