28 October 2014

Seven Days of Tropics

Look! It's sunrise on the Carribean!

Laying on the beach for many hours.

Having drinks and food delivered to your beach chair.

Reading your heart out.

Sleeping a whole lot.

Playing in the ocean.

The first three days was serious physical catch-up to some rather intense burnout. However, I have discovered that being in the same place for eight days without the action of city life or at least something going on around me that changes is a wee bit too long for me.

After five days, I didn’t really care about drinks anymore, and the food was making my stomach more than a little unhappy. For a person who eats mostly vegetables, olive oil, butter, and ghee, my three options of food was becoming a little annoying, and even those items seemed somehow coated in vegetable oil. Thankfully we focused a lot on discovering local food, and as such, they were wonderful about providing that; otherwise, we would have been stuck with burgers and wings for lunch and steak for dinner. 

After six days, there was some very serious analysis of 2015 plans, reality checks, and re-planning. With that final act, I was ready to ride a pelican to Florida and figure it out from there.

I am truly grateful for this down time as I desperately needed it for mental and physical refreshment. With the non-work beach bum experiment complete, my next experiment for non-work downtime will be focused on something like hiking or fishing for a week.

I never want to see a French fry again though.

Nor sugary drinks. For a system that doesn't experience sugar, my body is very upset with me. ARG!

I WILL take more time for myself to sit and drink tea, read the paper, and do the little happy grounding things though. That value is certainly taken better root as a result of the Carribean week.