08 March 2015

How Kids Think

The lens of kids is so fascinating.

Yesterday I was informed by my 7-year old daughter that she was taking me out to dinner for my birthday. There was an attempt to make it a "family affair" but she would have nothing so suburban.

She gathered her money, chapstick, and changed her outfit for the occasion. We hopped in the car where I was "allowed" to choose whatever restaurant I wanted.

I have to say, we had some interesting conversations that I cursed myself for not having a photographic memory to write down later. However, here are some funny highlights!

Conversation Takeaways

  • Just roll your sleeves up and dive in.
    When waitress ignored 7 year old's desire for ordering (I was not allowed to speak), she said "Don't worry mommy, I'm in control". This was proven through her willingness to march up to the front to get her attention and called her out very distinctly whenever she rushed by.

  • Be clear as to financial agreements.
    Stopping by the grocers after dinner to get her snacks, I received a clarification that "I will not be spending my own money on these snacks. Buying your dinner out of my money was very special and rare."

  • Hold people accountable to expectations.
    I was given the task of "organising the cart" in the grocery store. Here are a few pieces of feedback I received....
    "I won't be moving the cart until that's fixed."
    "I really think that it would be better if you STACKED those...."
    "I don't think you're taking this seriously" in a disappointed tone.

  • Religion is confusing at times.

    Me: What is your Girl Scout pledge?
    Elle: I know it but I forgot. Me: Just tell me what you do you remember.Elle: Something about God and country.
    Me: Do you know about God?
    Elle: No. What about God.
    Me: Ummm, well, erm. That's kinda complicated. 
    Elle: *giggles* Didn't expect that question, huh?
    Me: *sigh* No. Well, in the scope of that particular pledge, they are referring to an all power being who created the Earth and everything on it.
    Elle: Oh yeah, Jesus. 
    Me: Yes! Jesus' dad.
    Elle: Yeah, Zeus. Jesus' dad is God and his name is Zeus.
    Me: *at a complete loss*

...and here I thought dinner with a 7-year old might be boring!