28 March 2015

Parisian Basics

One of my great stresses, while traveling, is the lack of proper kitchen support. Yes, it's such a pathetically first world problem. And yes, it's a HUGE problem! Whether I use the RCI resorts or Marriott's Residence Inns, the appropriate mindset is that you're simply getting kitchen space, not anything else. The cooking equipment is horrendous and their idea of spice support are mini salt and pepper shakers that were pre-ground back in the stone age. As such, any road trip requires a small box of essentials.

So, absent such an emergency kit in Paris, I run around the shoppes for breakfast. Eggs, fresh bread the size of the Eiffel Tower, tea, local honey, and orange juice. YES! Prepared.

Except ... as I notice when I drop the eggs in the water to poach ... I forgot pepper and salt. Seriously? I can't believe this until I remember that I'm in Paris. Sure enough, I pop open the cupboard, and there are peppercorns in the grinder and truffle salt. Not just salt, but truffle salt.

I freakin' love this place.