24 March 2016

It DOES Make a Difference


Have you ever thought about complimenting somebody, but decided against it? I have, so many times. I watch my dad compliment everybody and see the results; shoulders straighten, the smiles linger, and the light come into the eye. So why should we keep these positive feelings secret?

Just how much difference it makes really struck me tonight.

I'm in my zone. Bach and spirituals on the cello. Mozart and Schumann on the piano. While I have struggled against the psychology of being ridiculed, judged, and held to impossible standards in music for much of my youth by petty people, the picture you see is my safety zone.

The doorbell buzzes. I instantly freeze as the first thought was that the music filtered through the windows and offended somebody.

"I'm so sorry to bother you ... I'm your neighbor and was just walking by. I just felt compelled to stop and tell you how completely awesome it is to walk through the neighborhood and hear piano playing. It is a gift to us; thank you."

I really don't remember what I said because I was trying to not cry.

It DOES make a difference. Don't ever hesitate to take those few moments and transform somebody's night. Perhaps much more than that.