30 March 2016

The Inevitability of Hiking Boots. *sob*

There is true love, then there is a mother's love. While I've never viewed myself as extremely maternal and would be mortified to be classified as a "normal mom", I have found that love for our kids is often evidenced through our insatiable desire that we support their INSANE plans.

Ellie's most trying insanity is her quest for all the Junior Ranger badges from national parks that she can achieve. There are many things to obsess over that I would have happily supported. Perhaps seeing every symphonic orchestra in the world. Or every capitol city in the USA. Oh, I know! Every chocolate shoppe in Europe.....*swoon*. Hell, I'd even take World Heritage Sites.

But no no no no no no. we want to collect shitty plastic badges from national parks. Don't get me wrong; many are beautiful and I have learned a lot of history. It has been incredible watching Ellie become so educated outside of the system and putting the puzzle pieces together on US history, pre-US history, ancient Indian history, and geology. She has timelines running for all four subject matters and does all the activities in the booklets, pulling up the websites for more information as she prepares for each visit. She grabs my researcher's heart every time she does this, thrilling me. 


Sitting pretty at 32 badges and trips planned to get several more this year, I sometimes feel like there can be a light at the end of the tunnel. But disaster follows me.

When I pull into Merritt something or the other in Florida, they say, "oh no, this isn't Canaveral National Seashore; we are a refuge."

What I heard: "You are in the wrong place and it's time to bug out so you can get the stupid badge in the right place asap."

But Ellie goes, "oh, what is a refuge?" 

Terror strikes my heart. 

The ranger eagerly informs Ellie that while they do have a badge, it's not quite the same but that they DO have a book and many trails that they could torture her mother with for alligator spotting. I snatch the book and mumble about an exciting visit NEXT time and we can do the book later....the beaming ranger looks on, knowing she has won. Both completely ignore me as this nightmare continues with bonding over a map of all the animal refuges in the United States.

I stand there helplessly, recognising the nightmare will never end. I will have an incredible well balanced, informed daughter, caring about the Earth and everybody on it ... in hiking boots...forever.