12 October 2007

American Economics
Granted, I'm not an economist. But I'm trying to learn through a couple of excellent books I'm reading since college Economics seems like millions of years ago. However, I've decided there is a certain kind of economics that is occuring in this country that is highly frustrating.

Has anybody noticed the dollar conversion rate? The Economist is highly astute to it, but they're British, so there's no fear, just observant. But in my decently consistent reading of the New York Times, I've seen little concern or even observation other than the required columns of conversion ratings. Anyway, it sucks.

Maltese lira a year ago? 2-1. Maltese lira now? 3-1. AGAINST our dollar. This of course has been noticed mostly by the fact that we're going to Malta in three weeks, so there is some selfish irritation here. I've been used to 2-1 with the British pound, but that's been up to 3-1 for a couple years now. The Euro? 2-1. I mean...CANADA is higher than the dollar right now. That is downright humiliating.

I don't understand why our consumer market doesn't really give a crap. Our imports are killing our dollar value, and I understand that imports are cheaper vs. making our own stuff, but sometimes I feel like the American consumer is more concerned about their imported living room sets, gigantic TV sets, vehicles and other materialistic things MORE than travelling. America has always sucked going on vacation, but I wish people would realise how much travelling does them good and DO it. Does this solve anything? Probably not because we will still import everything from our Christmas decorations up to our American car's engines, but I think travelling would make Americans desire and maybe seek a stronger dollar.

Perhaps I'm just bitter because the days of exploiting the weakass Franc and Lira are only memory.