10 October 2007

Full Circle
Glad to blog again! Here it is Halloween again; one year later from my last post.

Some things keeping me busy this past year includes
-raising a baby girl
-redecorating a house
-increased contract work with curriculum development
-struggling to obtain physical condition before baby
(instructor said it could take a year to get to full competing quality again)

I'm currently trying to wade through a lot of recent disappointments by looking on the bright side. I have learned a valuable lesson this past year though...trying to please people is a fruitless effort and I am now on the path of just doing what I feel is both right and enjoyable, ignoring the hurtful comments. That's the goal at least.

Some hurts are out of my control, however, such as being told that I wouldn't be welcome in an exclusive PhD program at IUPUI because I didn't fit the environment coming from profit schools. Also, my goals were more objective oriented, and not enough research oriented. I accept the second reason, but I'm struggling with the first - although I knew down deep that would be the killer for me to get into the program. My naive self is coming to realisation that 4.0's, successful ventures, and experience within the topic isn't enough. I was told that if I wanted to put the hours necessary into their masters of the same topic, I could most likely transfer directly before graduating into the PhD program since the faculty would know by that time and I would have the hours in that topic covered. Still, right now I'm kind of smarting from the rejection when I wasn't able to complete my sentence of my goals.

I know there is a huge rift of educational theories between profit and non-profit schools, but I had no idea it was this extensive. Now my curiousity is bugged...what value would it be to me to have degree experience in both environments? Maybe develop some theories to mend this rift? Non-profits are being forced to go online and accerelated degrees due to the consumer market, but the mindsets of these two massive educational forces are worlds apart. I think it would be a unique perspective at the very least.

These sorts of things are constantly running through my mind, thus killing my focus. I need to learn better meditation.