23 June 2013

My Joys in Massachusetts


My heart was certainly won to western Massachusetts, more specifically to the local co-op in Williamstown than the crazy trails on Mt. Greylock. For one who lived in the Rockies, you would think that I would not be such a wimp, but my pastime there was most to stare in wonder and drive in them. The hiking part .... much less dedication. Anyway, the co-op was amazing, filled with the freshest of all goods, including proceeds from a local creamery. Skyr is not something I've seen before and after a wonderful week in Iceland, but had to give it another shot. I discovered that the wonderful Maine blueberries offsets the typical sourness absolutely perfectly and just possibly bought them out .... carefully plotting my route refrigerator to refrigerator.

The time with Ellen at the Berkshires was absolutely wonderful, but time marches on ... she returns to her school and then I puttered over to Boston (with a refrigerator organised for the beloved Skyr). I realised, with a certain amount of humour, that I bustled over to Federal Wine & Spirits (importer of unique and absolutely great options), completely oblivious to it's historical setting on State Street across from the old state house and Boston Massacre.



As usual, wonderful finds were discovered. Besides the pictured prizes, I got one of the few remaining Woodford Four Wood's and some nice Grecian wines. This, plus a wonderful walk through the old dirty streets reminded me of my love for cities. Difficulty parking, diesel engine smells, trains, hot pretzels, ducking scaffolding, occasional breath holding while walking past dumpster alleyways, endless shoppes, and being just one of several million people. It makes me smile and feel free :)