22 October 2013

Pest Control Issues

Those who say they have squirrel problems have obviously not dealt with bear problems. I used to think I had issues with my squirrels, and of course the rats from our creek, but after some careful and patient work, I finally had all the varieties of birds on the right feeders, the squirrels in the corn area, and the rats just doing their normal pilfering.

Then came the bears. Not just any bears, but dumpster diving bum bears. This one is sneaking away from our detached garage with a seed covered floor and heading into our neighbor's garden.


The first encounter was Momma Bear and her adorable triplets. She had quite a path made available to her. I'm still blown away that a big ass bear and her babies can saunter through town, but there we are. The beast wrecked my $120 squirrel proof feeder and mistook my bird bath as a stool. That aside, no major damage, but I still grumble.

However, it has become clear that this is more of on-going issue as another bear decided to wipe out my carefully sorted and organised seed in the garage cupboards. Since I am in Colorado at the time of this invasion, it was easy for me to be critical of our friend who is staying there to not shoo him away. However, I suspect that the bear's younger age and smaller size would not have mitigated my hiding in the house until he had his fill either.

My rather huge issue is that I have quite the gig going for my literally hundreds of birds, ten squirrels, and creek rat, dubbed Ratty. If I keep all their wares in the garage, we see the consequences. However, leaving it in the house attached to the garage seems a bad plan since those doors are open throughout the day while working. A bear with motivation in accessing the house seems a bad plan.

So you see, we have a pest problem, and there's nothing I can really do about it except take pictures and growl about it.