16 November 2013

Rituals

Rituals have a variety of value, ranging from goofy to completely essential. I have no idea where the little ritual that Eric and I have developed falls, but it seems to be somewhere in the middle.... approximately categorized as "fun". Our ritual? Sit down at a huge breakfast and dive into the Wall Street Journal. I remember taking this paper back when I worked in insurance during college and started my mornings off with a tea and either a huge omelet or my biscuits and gravy...depending on whether I stopped at Acapulco Joe's or Le Peep's on my way between the car park and the skyscraper that stole my soul for four years, but I was all right with it.

Now that we have an official nest, it seemed only appropriate to re-build such a ritual. I have the subscription digitally too, but it's so much more interesting with the physical paper, right down to the paper delivery missing our porch by yards every morning. Not only do we get to criticise, empathise, and jabber about world politics for 30 minutes each morning, but we get starter for our fires as well. Difficult to beat.


Today's commentary included new heaping mockery and overall humour with the ObamaCare update that the President is losing his own party with this debacle that any insurance OR technology professional saw coming miles away. As I muse about the insane system meltdown the insurance companies are experienced based on my own four year dedication to  the hellhole of insurance, Eric spent his time rambling about "this is why Agile must be embraced at the enterprise level ... just teams won't cut it....." There was more but I think I was only half listening. Or maybe not at all.

More commentary involved sniffing haughtily at the wine recommendations for the holiday (ALL from California....really?), rolling eyes at the Methodist Church for thinking technology can solve the attrition issues for church membership, smiling hugely at the child who got his wish from Make A Wish Foundation that turned San Francisco into Gotham City as he played his Batkid role, feeling miserable about the Philippines' situation, and actually feeling empathy for the poor President, who really just wanted his name in history as the lightening rod for providing health coverage for every American, but simply didn't understand the economics and systems involved. Hopefully his motivations will get some recognition beyond the rather massive errors made once the dust settles.

Breakfast over.