30 September 2014

The Busking Experience

A re-occurring travesty is that one easily takes for granted where they live. This seems a little absurd because I live in Asheville, a beautiful mini-Boulder. Lots of mountain climbing, hiking, and kayaking available ... a huge amount of farm to table restaurants complete with vegan, veg, and gluten free options ... and most importantly, serious music options. Nothing particularly in the way of Broadway shows, operas, or symphony like what I enjoy, but the jazz, electronica, and general alternatives are very globally competitive .... including busking.

While I've been familiar with busking for many years, the attendance of a documentary opening at the Orange Peel was too intriguing for me to burrow in my little hole for yet another evening. Even more special beyond the documentary showing was the live performances of a few frequent buskers, and the attendance of so many buskers. I had no idea that Asheville did not require permits for busking and that it's a self-organized group of individuals who simply make it work. 

Yet more dimensions of Asheville to appreciate....