25 April 2015

Basic Needs

Hypothetically....let's say the topic of living in Europe came up....let's say for 2-3 years for a particular gig.... hypothetically.

Now, with that context, Eric asked me to consider impediments, what I would want to take, etc.

Well, furniture was right out because no place over could hold the type of large pieces our AVL home has...besides, I couldn't think of anything more fun than piecing a flat together through antique shoppes.

Hrm, clothes? Sure, a suitcase for each person probably, because who needs more with the most amazing charity and vintage shoppes ever at my finger tips?

Eric briefly considered his Scotch, but why risk transporting those bottles to a place flooded with such commodities?

Baby grand right out; what about the cello? Maybe. Have to think about that given the size.

Books, oh my yes. Especially given that this hypothetical location would not be English based, there's only so much Amazon.uk can do for that particular itch. Yes, a box of books would be required.

So, here is my list.

  • 3/4 size guitar
  • painting easel and any any paints/brushes expensive to replace
  • my steamer trunk with favourite clothes
  • box of books
  • minature triptych mum painted me
  • my two Gothic angel carvings
  • small 1560 pen and ink 

Eric added to that list his own suitcase of clothes + Kindle.

Ellie might have some challenges pairing things down, but all in all, she's usually pretty good about narrowing the scope when she's asked.

Is that right? Could we really pick up and go with so little? Apparently so, but just to check, we walked around the house. Several things were considered and then left behind, but we did add to the list:

  • teapot
  • my 3 English tea tins
  • Eric's large Shiva stone

Of course the trick wouldn't be taking too much over, in reality. It would be figuring out how to haul back our the treasures we collected throughout that time :) Still, I would call us gypsies at heart!