18 April 2015

Parenting through Gaming

Parents have to take advantage of the weird moods that kids go through ... in this case, a mixture of Ellie's Wonder Woman costume (including sword that she found on Amazon) and her fascination with all things fantasy gaming.

Setting: Saturday morning, having been denied an immediate start to her Minecraft bonanza, she dons said costume and demands to serve.

Parents, this what I'm talking about. These moments are rare. Take them in any way they come ... BUT it requires a wee bit of roleplaying to maintain it ...

Eric: Kneel before your king and queen.

Ellie: *kneels*

Eric: I have two quests. First, descend to the dungeon below the castle to the great beast. Release the great beast of Buddy-dom and take him forth into the yard, allowing him explore. Mark the great piles of filth he leaves then return him. Next, I need you to remove the debris and rubbish that has invaded our home. The townspeople have collected it in receptacles of evil in each room. I need you to go forth with the great white bag of holding and collect these signs of decay wherever they may be found. If you succeed, I will give to you three green coins.

Please note that the tables can turn as time passes and we hear the trash bag being popped open.

Ellie: This quest requires minions!

Eric: How may I serve?

Me: I will not serve.

Ellie: *opens jewelry box and blows gently on it onto me*

Me: *fine whatever* How may I serve?

Ellie: Minion #1 must hold the bag and Minion #2 must empty decay.

Eric and me: *wow .... points for creatively, and uhhhhh, no.* 

Eric: This minion is empowered to train you, but can only serve for this decay.

Me: *brilliant!*

Time passes.

Ellie: The quests are completed my lord. What quest may I perform next?

Eric: We are beset by swarms in our home. We need a valiant princess to fight the swarms of dust. Go forth and find the scoop of doom and clear the swarms found across all the steps in the castle.

Break scene

Daddy, I was wanting zombies.

You're not ready for zombies. The next quest. 

OK.

Scene Reset

No go forth!

Yes master. I am ready.

....thus continue for a couple of hours of awesome labour....