11 April 2015

Bucket Lists

It's easy to say, "oh, I need to put that on my bucket list" ... but we don't usually keep such lists articulated. It's almost a catch-all term for really wanting to do something. However, after doing a four country road trip in Europe, and realising how many years I wanted to do it, I realise the value of seeing something I really want to do in a more articulated manner. As I consider how many times I go to UK/Europe, and yet never really investigated via car (Ireland, Malta, and Iceland being the exception), it's absurd that I have not done this before. As you can see from my bucket list, driving is a major part of my life. It's a part of the American culture that I embrace with every fiber of my being: the vehicle is a symbol of freedom. As frustrated as I get with the seeming inability for the USA to embrace public transportation and railway options to the extent I see in other parts of the world, I do understand. Why would I get on a train for 12 hours to NYC when I can drive there ... and be in charge! I can stop at my favourite places, and develop rituals in all my travel paths, picking and choose those special places based on the path I happen to be travelling.

The infrastructure in Europe is so good for train travel, but as we wandered through village after village, I was on awareness-overload experiencing the unique cultures of each country, city, and village. In one sense, they were all the same. In another sense, everything was utterly unique, opening new doors in my brain that I had not known previously.

Thus, the bucket list. It's not something ever in stone - just a reminder of things I'd like to do the next time I accidentally do a default holiday. Even if I don't do a bucket list item, my choices will be much more intentional.