04 April 2015

Eleven o'clock Dinner

One of the great joys of large cities is the fact that they never sleep. However, Paris is especially amazing in that you can get a full dinner very very late. In fact, many high-end restaurants are empty at the "absurdly" early hour of 7p ... simply nobody is ready to eat yet!

Being typically an early dinner "loser" by starting around 9p, we got to put the theory of a truly late dinner to the test last night. There was a hiccup with my dissertation approval that required my chair and I to be on Skype rather late for an hour that was easily cleared up but with horrendous timing. Why? Because it was Friday night in Paris, and if this had happened just about anywhere else, I'd have given up the evening for lost. 

Not in Paris! 

Eric had his eye on a restaurant near us, and we dashed over at 11p, hoping, seeing that other places were quite packed, that the kitchen would still be open.

Sure enough .... we explained that we wanted actual food from the kitchen, and mercy was given. He promised to keep it open for a few more minutes if we hurry. I was ecstatic! 

The waiter bustled over for the wine order where he is sweet with his impatience as he suggests that he just picks one for us ....

"and what kind do we prefer? Flowery? Robust? Thin? Heavy?"

I finally realise that we are no longer in charge (and possibly never were) and explain that we would like a big bold spicy red. 

He considers, smiles, pulls the wine menu from Eric's hands because, after all, he's already decided for us! He returns with a wine from the Basque region on the French side that made me realise where my next holiday will be....


... and the dinner was divine where we realised that we have a "raw" problem, and not in the healthy raw diet way. Lightly smoked salmon, bacon barely cooked for Eric, and steak tartare for me .... and we were SO happy!





Also, I am not a dessert person except in Paris ... where five tiny desserts only seemed incredibly appropriate.



What I especially loved though, was that the picture of us in the restaurant is at 1130p; and past midnight people were still coming in for their late night snack of fromage and champagne. 


I will return to the States to determine what late night joyous options are available to me, thanks to this experience!