12 May 2016

Carnivore meets Rabbit Patch

Don't get me wrong, bacon will roll me out of bed any day of the week, AND I'm finding myself happier in the veg/vegan camp these days.

Perhaps it was the beautiful growing greens in what I affectionally call my Rabbit Patch. Perhaps it was my desire to eat more healthily that resulted in a lot more veg. Perhaps it was my focus to practice more sustainability with my garden.

Whatever the trigger, the result is that meat feels pretty heavy. I mean really really heavy. Carbs already made me feel bloated, and my lactose intolerance has been far more temperamental of late. My point is that I don't have an allergy or position regarding, meat, gluten, fish or veg. In fact, in the right circumstances, all can be quite good. I don't even have a fake position (except the dairy issue), to echo a friend from Seattle :) 

Listening to my body though, has de-motivated me from partaking of that pancake, ribeye, or a pint. 

I had not fully realised what a different journey Eric and I were on until we decided to really enjoy our kitchen this week. We love to cook together, so we each selected a cookbook to explore. Of course I selected one of my favourites: Afro-Vegan .... as images of tofu, green mustards, collards, and cashew milk flitted across my brain. 



Then I saw Eric pull down The Iraqi .... hrm... I love lamb, but didn't recall much else really. Sure enough. Kebab milouky can be interpreted as baked kebab and bread. Absurdly delicious, and frankly, the Iraqi version of pot pie. One green pepper and some parsley, and yeah, heavy. But no worries, the breakfast mekhlama? A nice "light" ground meat scramble with eggs ... this time served Baghdad style to include hot bread (toast) on the bottom. *wheel me away Scottie*





It's quite possible that there was some compensation, sub conscience at the very least from my previous evening's tofu curry with mustard greens (spiced nicely with spicy mustard green harissa) and my savory grits with slow-cooked collard greens ... all vegan. 






But do you know what really burns my ass? 

Vegan eating: 

4,323 components
231 steps
MILLIONS of prep hours

The meat dish?

Yeah, I need to pop to the grocer and grab three things; dinner will be on in about an hour.

Adding insult to injury, tonight's cajun selection by Eric from our New Orlean's cookbook required two items:
  • a shallot
  • pork tenderloin
Granted, we did have everything else for what promises to be a wonderful meal paired with our garden fresh spinach, but SERIOUSLY!!!! 

It's on now. Dairy issues or not, tomorrow will be a complete mind loss with Bar Tartine, including my own homemade Farmer's cheese. If it's going to take me a billion hours to make something, I'm going all out.

Keep tuned ... and if you feel a disturbance in the force tomorrow, as in all day tomorrow; just ignore it.