22 May 2016

Moriarty: A Novel (book review)

Moriarty: A NovelMoriarty: A Novel by Anthony Horowitz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Setting is crucial when it comes to enjoying this book. When I found myself simply reading it for reading sake, it was a wee bit predictable for Sherlock freak (me), and some disappointment for an author responsible for Midsomer Murders and Foyle's War.

However, halfway through the book I watched both of Guy Ritchie's Sherlock movies with Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law .... and the book took on an interesting transformation... even unto the points where the predictability was inauthentic, thus providing valuable insights for what was about to unfold. If you find something to be cheap ... not worthy of Sherlock style ... then you are right to question ... and you will be rewarded.

Very much rewarded.

This book is a mood setter for the gritty Victorian era as I pour a gin and tonic and settle in for a lovely afternoon of Penny Dreadfuls.

View all my reviews