15 May 2016

The Plan

As discussed in my post earlier this week in Carnivore Meets Rabbit Patch, I felt that there was some carnivorous compensation being attempted any time it was Eric's turn to select meal plans. Also as discussed, I was determined to create the ultimate meal that fulfilled the important senses of sight, smell, and taste ... and did not involve meat.

This took literally three days.

My plan was to go simple yet beautiful. That, of course, requires cheese and bread, so the vegan approach was set aside for more moderate views. But not just any cheese. MY OWN CHEESE! Yes, you heard me. And yes, I fully grasp the level of over-compensation that I employed in order to combat Eric's meat compensation that would have never occurred if I would have simply tossed him a piece of bacon in the first place.

Moving on.

The cheese plan would indeed take 3 days. I wanted to make my own buttermilk and sour cream for the chilled buttermilk and cucumber soup that I had selected, but even I understand limits.

Back to my farmer's cheese. It's actually very simple ... just take milk and heavy cream, mix them up, and set in a temperate area of the pantry for 72 hours.

72 hours later .... can we say GROSS?

In the oven for 30 minutes ... I'm deeply shocked that it smells delicious despite the looks.

If you want it warm on bread, drain for 30 minutes; otherwise, up to a couple hours. Tart, but actually quite good!

So for $1.50 and way too much awareness of what cheese actually IS, I have a beautiful ball of farmer's cheese for up to a week....

There. The first course was prepared. Onward to simple, yet gorgeous soup.

Mandolin, check.
Very sharp and high quality knives of various sizes, check.
Sweet white onion, fennel, cucumber; all cut on the bias into half moons, check.
Fenugreek sprouts, fresh garden dill, and tiny clover flowers from the garden, check.

Everything collected, everything prepped. Absolutely NO cooking, but lots of marinating and cautious set-up for .... VOILA!!!!!!



A meal of true beauty. Deep pride as I served my chilled buttermilk and cucumber soup with a sideboard of heavy crusty bread with my very own farmer's cheese drizzled with local honey. 

I was indeed lauded with praise, as we finished a bottle of wine, preparing for a late movie down the street at ABC Brewing.

Would you believe that he ordered wings? I would be mad, except he gave me a bite.