20 February 2003

Bravery
I was pretty sick today, so I zoned out on movies trying to forget about feeling crummy. As I watched the 3 hour rendition of Gettysburg though, I couldn't help but wonder at their bravery...both sides. I remember when I was a little girl walking the battlefield at Gettysburg and trying to imagine what it would be like to walk that mile under fire. When I see and feel things that are so amazingly fearless, I often wonder what I would have done in their place. I think of dangers we face today, but yet really don't in some respects. We talk of war in Iraq, and what N. Korea could do, but somehow, we, as Americans, are still so safe. I'm not knocking it, but sometimes fear that I would not stand up to my own death so well. I used to believe, when I was a kid, that I would die saving someone's life or dying for a special purpose, such as many of those soldiers. I don't think I will, but if that occurs, I hope that I can do it half as well as our past and present soldiers.