08 July 2003

Back in the Grind
I've rediscovered my hatred for work. At least corporate work.

The summer holiday was great, although I refuse to fully classify it as a holiday since I worked and starved for most of it. More details here. Oh, and FYI, NEVER vacation in Knoxville. There is nothing there except Arby's, the funky little bistro that has good queso, and this awesome Italian restaurant that has great food and ambiance.

Once the tournament was over, Eric and I went down to Smokey Mountain National Park since I've discovered that my husband has not been anywhere except Pennsylvania and Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg as a kid. Even though he was that close to the park, he was apparently deprived of the lovely nature there, so he was in 7th Heaven as I drove through the top portion of the park and showed him Meig's waterfall. Thank you, mom and dad, for taking me on a lot of vacations!

I was barely aware, with all of the Tae Kwon Do festivities, that there was a major holiday involved with the weekend, so I was mildly suprised that there was a fireworks show in Knoxville. Firstly, because I had forgotten that it was July 4, and secondly, because I didn't realize that dead town had the resources. Apparently, people do live there though because there was quite a turn-out. I was relieved that it was no longer a ghost town. I also found it ironic that it was my boss' French counterpart that emailed me a "Happy 227th Fourth of July". Until then, I hadn't really noticed that it was the 227th anniversary.