14 July 2003

Why me?
How many people get a cold in the summer? *arg* It's ridiculous that I have one. I get them all the time in the winter, but the summer? On a better note, I think I've found a nice little hobby. I have this huge problem in that I make hobbies either competitive, or a major way of life, therefore eliminating them from "hobby" mode. So I was standing in Bates Art Store with my mother, completely bored out of my mind because I had nothing in particular to do for the day except to dread work. I start flipping through sketch books and was looking through the colored pencils and off handedly remarked that I loved colored pencils and wished I could sketch better. My mother seized the moment, ever joyful that her wayward daughter that has rejected creating art (I do appreciate it), was perhaps returning to the family fold of artistry. Mum is a lovely artist who is constantly critical of her own work, even though it's totally fabulous. So she loaded me up with a sketch book that is my level, i.e., children's level, Mars eraser, pencil sharpener stipends, or something like that. They are little pencils that smudge color together. I dared not hang my first sketch on the wall of my office though (I am immensely proud of it) because my co-workers will probably ask if one of my child Tae Kwon Do students made it for me. I found it totally relaxing and enjoyable though...and non-competitive!