16 October 2009

First Week in Rome

Either we are the laziest tourists on the universe, or we just really needed a rest! After being here a full five days, we've yet to visit the usual tourists sites, but I beg an excuse for that since we've been here previously and spent most of time during that visit in ancient Rome. Parked by the Vatican City (again), we are most familiar with the west side of Rome, and my connection to Via Cola di Rienzo and the main shopping avenues off of Piazza del Popolo are strong due to my love of boots, gloves, sunglasses, and designer wear. Besides, I know we'll venture to the ancient sites when friends arrive tomorrow, which will be enjoyable.

We're eating very well and losing weight between eating right and walking a lot. Purposely getting lost and figuring out how to get home is a great weight loss program in old winding cities! Our antiquarian shopping went great if we were millionaires. The first clue was of course the fact that these lovely little "buzz me in" shoppes were tucked between Armani and Fendi. When the greet you with all smiles proudly explaining that most of the pieces come complete with provenance, you think, "yeah, thanks for confirming to me the reality that I won't be able to touch anything you have!" I like to think of the shopping as free mini museum visits as I was cheerfully told that the 1200s gothic sheet music is at a low low price of 32,000 euros. I did take the card though, just in case I win the lottery I never play :)

I slept in too late to hit the horse races today, so after the bazaars Sunday morning, hopefully I can get some in that afternoon. Trotting and gallop races alternate each day down the Appian Way south of Rome, so that'll be awesome to watch some gallop races.