31 December 2015

A Year of International Travel (2015)

A major motivator for my life is international travel. I love it. The cultures. The underlying assumptions that are the same everywhere, and the assumptions that are unique to each place. Each place's beauty. All of these things are what makes those international experiences amazing.

Each year I've noticed an increase of travel and I don't want to take it for granted! So, I'm going to take the slow train through the amazing good travel fortune that I have experienced in 2015, with one set of pictures to encapsulate what made the country special to me for that trip. 

France
Cool Factor: Ellie choosing Paris for her 8 years birthday celebration.
Underlying Stress: In Paris???? I'm not sure that's possible.
Favourite Moment: The simplicity of the beautiful French meals.


Luxembourg
Cool Factor: They serve champagne for everything.
Underlying Stress: I was really upset that the Post Office was closed the entire visit as I like to post things from each country I visit.
Favourite Moment: Getting champagne and frites with mayo as the typical fair food!


Switzerland
Cool Factor: Getting to see the Swiss Alps!
Underlying Stress: Tired, limited time, and wanted to experience so much.
Favourite Moment: Enjoying the engineering and peace around the fountain toys in Basel.



Germany
Cool Factor: Our first European wine trip.
Underlying Stress: Getting English translated menus, especially after the liverwurst incident.
Favourite Moment: Driving through Baden Baden's many beautiful vineyards and fab wine!


France (second visit)
Cool Factor: Getting a chance to pop into town on the way to Munich for the conference.
Underlying Stress: The terrorist attack redefined our experience that weekend.
Favourite Moment: Enjoying the morning ramble after the rose shoppe.


Germany (second visit)
Cool Factor: My first international speaking engagement.
Underlying Stress: My first international speaking engagement.
Favourite Moment: The plethora of mulled spiced wine during Bavarian Christmas season!


Australia
Cool Factor: All around great wine, great food, great vintage shoppes, great live music.
Underlying Stress: Limited on the number of lunches and dinners in the foodie world of Melbourne.
Favourite Moment: Attending a ballet and chamber orchestra at the Sydney Opera House!


New Zealand
Cool Factor: Getting to see the New Zealand Alps!
Underlying Stress: No real cities to speak of. Wellington was the biggest. And well. There we are.
Favourite Moment: I have an obsession about the beauty of glaciers and was not disappointed.


Fiji
Cool Factor: The most beautiful vistas imaginable!
Underlying Stress: It was hot. Sand got in my shoes too.
Favourite Moment: Snorkeling!!!! I'm officially hooked.


Australia (second visit)
Cool Factor: We ended up with an extra and unexpected couple of weeks in Sydney after Fiji.
Underlying Stress: The reason for the extra time was because Ellie got the chickenpox.
Favourite Moment: The New Years celebration in this city is insanely awesome!