08 December 2015

It's always better live.....

The culture of cities teach us important mindsets. For example, 

Living in Asheville has taught me the joys of frequent live music to be a common occurrence. 

While New Orleans put me back in touch with my love of Blues and 

London always reminds me just how much I love the theatre

Australia is reminding me of the value to also splurge on the high-end production events.

It goes without saying that the Sydney Opera House is a must-visit venue for pretty much anything they are producing at the time, but in my case, I lucked out with the absolutely most stunning ballet ever. A visiting English lady told me that the designer, Gabriela Tylesova, got extra funding for the set, which aligned with the quality we saw. Ballets are funny things. You either feel like magic or feel like your witnessing rocks falling on the stage. The former was experienced with Lana Jones leading the fabulous fairies.


Then there was Sol Gabetta. The woman who can make the cello do whatever she wants because they are so intertwined in soul and spirit. Fortunate enough to be in her debut performance with the Australian Chamber Orchestra in the opera house's concert hall, I was shifted to a new dimension. If I was incapable of listening to local orchestra before, they are forever banished now. I'm sorry. I'll happily financially support local orchestras, but my ears are so spoiled.


Moving on down to Melbourne ... where I fully expected a foodie world, but didn't realise that the amazing music would continue to enlighten and thrill ....

Granted, a live performance of AC/DC is what we could define as a shift in the music palate, but that doesn't take away from the amazing music and all around show!




The videos are too long to load onto this interface, so I provided drop box links where you can watch.

It's so funny to me that people record live shows with their crappy phones when they can buy or watch the professional versions.

So I definitely recorded some great bits with my crappy phone. Why are mine special? Because I was THERE!

sheepishly moving on....

The best thing about Australia is that we are not done, as my still ringing ears try to recover from a soccer stadium full of shrieking people and awesome rock, I prepare myself for Vivaldi's Four Seasons at the Melbourne Chamber Orchestra tonight with Tognetti playing his interpretation ....


Music ... it's always better live ....

and most definitely always worth the extra effort to experience the professionals at their best.